The Burton-Rosenmeier house was built in 1903 for Barney Burton, who made his fortune selling woolen clothing and accessories to lumberjacks. Burton owned dry goods stores throughout central and northern Minnesota.
The Little Falls Convention and Visitors Bureau currently uses the historic house as a visitor’s information center and office. The home is on the National Register of Historic Places and is open to the public for free, self-guided tours daily and year round. There you can find visitor information on Little Falls and surrounding areas including area maps, biking routes, public arts guides, historic walking/driving guides, Lindbergh driving tour and brochures on all the areas attractions.
His home was sold to Christian Rosenmeier in 1921. Rosenmeier was an attorney for the Pine Tree Lumber Company, president of the American National Bank, American Savings and Trust Company and a Minnesota State Senator from 1922 to 1934. He played a role in establishing Camp Ripley and Lindbergh State Park. Rosenmeier’s son, Gordon, was the next owner from 1932-1989. He also was an attorney and a Minnesota State Senator, serving from 1940 to 1971.
The Neoclassical style historic house is distinguished by an asymmetrically balanced façade with a two-story porch supported by columns with Ionic capitals. Interior features include hand-painted hollyhocks in the dining room, stained glass windows, an ornate fireplace, and decorative woodwork.
606 1st Street Southeast
Little Falls, MN 56345